I really do like the cookie
I made yesterday but I wasn’t that enthused about it. Going into it, I knew I’d like it so the
process was missing some excitement.
Today we have exhilaration –
as I was mixing the dry ingredients the littlest Elf came over and said, “that
smells like Mexican food”. I love spicy
food, the hotter the better – if my food makes me cry, I’m happy. I may regret my spicy choices down the road
but for now, bring it on. I was on a
quest to find a unique, hopefully spicy cookie, so I settled on Jacked-Up
Jalapeno Cookie.
I stuck with half the batch,
just in case, but once I tasted the batter, I wished I had made a full
batch. By halving the recipe a few of my
measurements may be slightly off. I
couldn’t find lime or key lime extract so I got the zest from a lime, chopped it
very fine and added that to the juice of the lime. I used twice as much lime juice as the recipe
called for just to make sure I got the flavor.
I listened to the Barenaked
Ladies Holiday CD while baking, perfect music for today’s cookie. I think John and I both get some
cooking/entertaining inspiration from a great lady I used to work for. I thought of her often while baking today,
she might have given me a big “Honey, what were you thinking?” if I was able to
share today’s cookie with her. It made
me smile thinking about it.
Back to the recipe, it says
you can finish the cookies by sprinkling the cookies with cayenne if you choose
– guess what, I chose to do that.
The finished cookie is as
good as the dough. You get a little spicy
at the beginning, then some sweet, then you finish with more spice. I could eat way too many of these. Yum. The
party in mouth that I was looking for the other day – I just found it with this
recipe. The older Elf tried one when he
got home from swimming and kind of danced in a circle jumping up and down as he
ate it, but he ate it all – that’s my boy, so maybe they are a bit spicy.
So go out and try something
different, have some fun and you may find something you really like. Beth
The elves delivered a double
batch of Cookie Joy today to MJ’s Soul Kitchen.
This is a wonderful group of people from our church who gather weekly to
prepare and deliver meals for church members and others who are in need. This week’s deliveries will include cookies
from the last three days. Special thanks
to MJ and her entire crew for their ongoing commitment to this important cause.
John is back in the kitchen
tomorrow. I think he has some big plans
for the weekend. Have a great Friday!

Beth, glad to see you're keeping your cooking spicy-just like you! Thanks for inspiring us to make cookies from our old family recipes. No thanks for the many extra holiday pounds we've already packed on, though:) Susan
ReplyDeleteSusan, so glad you could figure out how to comment! :)
Delete