Sunday, December 16, 2012

Day 16 – Doubling Down on Sunday – Spice Pumpkin Oatmeal Cookies AND Florentine Cookies!!!


Started the day Sunday with Cookies.  We’re 16 days into this thing, so why not!  I usually bake some kind of healthy muffin, scone or granola on Sunday morning, so we decided to go for a healthy breakfast cookie and knock out another feature ingredient that’s been on the list from the start. 

I love adding pumpkin to things like this.  It’s very healthy and no one can taste it, they just know that is turns the color orange.  Both of today’s recipes are from the same website, chow.com, which has a lot of good stuff.  These turned out great, although you do have to wait a while to let them cool before you add the glaze and that’s not easy when the elves are hungry.  I also split this recipe in half and it still made 36 cookies.

The cookie was super moist when warm, but the glaze was better after church.  Haley and I plan to eat them for breakfast again tomorrow.





Beth found these cookies a few weeks ago and we both thought they looked like a nice alternative to everything else on our list.  I decided to try them this afternoon even though we didn’t have sliced almonds.  I chopped a combination of almonds that we had on the shelf (coconut, cinnamon and dry roasted), mixed them together and crossed my fingers.

This is a unique recipe, with very little flour, that produces a crisp, flavorful cookie.  I showed my arrogance with the first batch, put too many on the pan and cooked them for too long.  We ended up with one really large crisp that Beth suggested we save to use as an ice cream topping.

The next 4 batches were much better and certainly provided the change of pace that we were hoping for.  These aren’t a “warm-cookie and glass of milk” type treat, but I would certainly make them again.





The Rays finally joined the fun with a big plate of Cookie Joy from the last 4 days.  Also shared a full assortment with the Schroeders.

Ready to get the week off to a great start.  Beth’s back in the kitchen tomorrow, so I just get to eat, can’t wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment