Going old school
on you today. Woke up this morning and
thought today’s cookies need a different look, but then I thought a new look
can wait another day – I need to go old school.
I wanted to start Day 1 of this adventure with this recipe but John was
baking on the first day and he looked at the recipe and said, “I’m not baking
anything that calls for shortening”.
Well, these aren’t Grandma R’s cookies if you don’t use shortening. It’s my day to bake and I used shortening. (I looked at the shortening we had and it
said use by 2009 – so that tells you how long it has been since we baked these
cookies – I did toss that and started fresh).
There is a trick
to these cookies – you beat the batter by hand and it is stiff batter so you
get a good workout. I can remember
watching my grandma well into her 80’s and 90’s make these cookies and wondered
how she still had the strength to beat the batter. I can’t imagine how many times she made these
cookies over the years but you can ask anyone who ate them – they were
consistent. These are a crunchy
chocolate chip cookie so they are a perfect companion to a glass of cold milk.
As they came out
of the oven I could tell they were pretty close to the original. I watched them with tender loving care as
they baked because I wanted them to be perfect.
I’m not sure if these taste so good because of the taste or if it is
from all of the memories, but the first bite took me back a number of years.
This recipe came
well before technology, so there is no link for this recipe - here you go:
Grandma R’s Chocolate Chip Cookies
½ Cup Shortening
½ Cup White Sugar
¼ Cup Brown Sugar
1 egg
1 Cup sifted
enriched flour
½ teasp. Salt
½ teasp. Soda
Chocolate Chips
(about 8 oz)
1 teasp. Vanilla
Mix shortening
and sugar; add egg; sift soda and flour together – add to mixture; add chips
and vanilla. Mix with wooden spoon until
well mixed.
Bake at 350-375
for 9-11 minutes. (I baked at 345 for 11
min.)
They rise a bit
in the oven but when you remove them they continue to brown slightly and they
fall to a thin, crunchy cookie.
Grandma always
wrapped these cookies in wax paper and served them out of a greenish-golden
tin. I’ve carefully wrapped these in wax
paper and the USPS is helping us distribute – they are headed around the east
coast to a few long-time friends who have had and enjoyed the original. They can compare and see how these match
up. Today was fun, I baked with the
recipients in mind.
Can’t wait to see what tomorrow brings.

Beth's Grandma's cookie rock! I couldn't help but go to HT to buy shortening (for the first time in a VERY long time) and try these - the picture of the cookies with the glass of milk was way too tempting.
ReplyDeleteLet's just say that my husband was very sad to hear that the cookies were gone last night. I promised him and the kids another batch...they are THAT good...and cookies don't get eaten that quickly around here! Thank you!