Saturday, December 8, 2012

Day 8 – Double Play – Peanut Butter Surprises & Carrot Cake Cookies


Really not sure where the day went, but the morning was a good one.  Haley had friendly rims at her hoops game and Logan had smooth, fast water this morning (& evening) in Cary.  I had to take the chance to try two new recipes today, so after some debate Haley and I both selected one.

We couldn’t resist the chance to feature peanut butter and chocolate again.  This is a much different cookie than last night’s effort.  We followed the recipe, except for the shortening.  Even if I wanted to use it I couldn’t after Beth’s post, so we subbed applesauce; which sounds crazy, but that’s what was on the internet and we all know that stuff is true! It was perfect.

We made our first dozen putting the peanut butter between the chocolate batter, but this ended up being very messy and time consuming, so we decided to simply mix the peanut butter and chocolate and move forward.  Both were good, but the original version made much larger cookies and the peanut butter taste was more prominent.






Most of you know that I like to cook healthy food, except for the 25 Days of Cookies!  You also might know that my favorite cake is Carrot and Beth makes a fantastic version for me every year on my birthday. 

When I stumbled on this recipe today, I thought it would offer a little relief from the sugar and butter that dominate everything else we’re making (and eating!).  The feature ingredient is obviously carrots, with a cameo appearance by crushed pineapples. 

I made lots of adjustments to this recipe, mixed AP Flour with the Whole Wheat, added a few more oats and subbed a ½ cup each of cranberry Craisins and white chocolate chips in place of the raisins (not a fan).  These turned out nice and I feel a lot less guilty eating them!





The elves were a bit distracted today, but have big plans for tomorrow, so be ready.

Wishing Beth and Logan fast times and safe travels tomorrow (No, Beth’s not actually swimming)!  Have a great Sunday.


No comments:

Post a Comment