Saturday, December 22, 2012

Day 22 – Three Cookie Saturday! - Olive Oil Cookies (with Rosemary and Red Wine), Toffee (Brickle) Drop Cookies and Candy Cane Oreo Chocolate Chip Cookies


It’s Saturday, not only is it Saturday but it’s the Saturday before Christmas so we need a Saturday before Christmas type of cookie.  So we are going with Olive Oil Cookies, not only do they feature olive oil, but also rosemary which turned out nicely in a cookie early in this adventure, and we finally worked red wine into the mix.

I again went with half the batch just not knowing what I was getting into.  The batter tasted great but seemed way too runny so I added some more flour.  It was still pretty runny, not your typical cookie dough when I put the first one in the oven.  I learned from the other day – I tested one by itself first.  It came out, cake-like with a purplish tint.  I may have used more rosemary than the recipe called for but we like rosemary, so we’re okay with that.

This cookie is uniquely yummy.  Not too sweet but I got all three flavors mentioned above:  rosemary, olive oil and red wine.  I used a Coppola Merlot we had.  The kitchen smelled wonderful while these cookies were baking, the aroma was like we were baking homemade bread.



Before Beth started drinking wine at noon (JK, JK) I wanted to get a quick and easy batch in to help our numbers.  We haven’t made anything with toffee bits, so that’s where I headed.

I started with the recipe on the package and it makes a LOT of cookies.  We baked well over 100 of these and the only adjustment I made was to swap one cup of oats for 1 cup of AP flour.  These always turn out well, crunchy and sweet, and a good start to a long day of baking.



Needed to be more creative in the afternoon, so I went back to the recipes we’d researched from the beginning of this journey.  Beth found this recipe that featured candy cane Oreo cookies and it sounded really fun.  As you might imagine, I’m not going to go out and buy a packaged cookie after baking our own for the last 22 days! 

It turns out we have a pack of regular (Reduced Fat) Oreo cookies, so I grabbed 6 of those and found 8 Hershey Peppermint Kisses.  I chopped these and added them to the core recipe and the outcome was exciting. 

I’m not a huge fan of peppermint; but this modest amount, combined with the Oreos and chocolate chips created a refreshing mix.  These were one of my biggest surprises of the last 3 weeks.  I will definitely make them again.



The elves were out in force, delivering Joy to the Iversons, Whalens and Poynters.  Much more work to be done over the next few days, so be ready.




No comments:

Post a Comment